Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Big news - And what it means about my eating



It's a LITTLE early to share but I'm going for it anyay, I'm pregnant!  It's very exciting news, this is baby number two and most likely the last baby I will have.  It's weird to think I have one, even, so two really blows my mind.  There is a lot to think about now, a lot of planning to do.  It's a little overwhelming and scary but we'll just take it as it comes. 

What does this mean for my eating?  Well, a couple of things.  Eating a well-balanced diet is always important during pregnancy (or all the time really) but especially important because I ALMOST had gestational diabetes last pregnancy.  Now, I weigh less this time around so that might help but it's still something I have to keep my eye on.  And to be honest, it's a great way to eat generally so I'll do my best to follow the diabetic diet regardless. 

My last pregnancy went wonderfully.  I was exercising and eating well.  I didn't gain one pound and after the baby was born I was down 36 lbs.  I have gained most of that back and I am down about 15 lbs from the first time I got pregnant.  But I had the motivation of having borderline gestational diabetes. 

It was very scary and nervewracking because I didn't actually have gestational diabetes so I didn't get the benefit of the education they would have provided me so I had to figure it out on my own.  The doc's advice was "just have a sandwich with half the bread and no mayo".  Oh, so simple.  Yeah right.

So this means that I need to get back into testing my blood sugar, eating 5 small meals a day, eating the right amount of carbs, having a small protein snack right before I go to bed and limiting my sugar BIG TIME.

SO, how do I feel about making these changes in my diet?  Ugh.  That's about it.  I like the idea of it but it brings up the whole deprivation issue that drives the binge-diet cycle.  I like sugar, I don't like having to give it up.  I also don't like being told (even though it's my own body telling me) that I can't have something.  I will do some belief work on this and post later.  I'm sure I will have a lot to say about this over the next...7 months, 3 weeks and 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment